So, just what are Sash Windows?

Sash Windows (also known as Hung Sash Windows or Box Sash Windows) are windows that have at least one movable pane (known as a "sash") that forms a frame, holding a panes of glass. The panes of glass are seperated by small "muntins".

In the vast majority of cases sash windows slide vertically. Horizontal sliding sash windows are known as "Yorkshire lights". Sash Windows are often associated with old English houses (especially London buildings).

Need some work done on Sash Windows? Should you do it yourself or hire a company?

Thinking of getting some new sash windows? Or maybe you need to get some repaired?


The obvious choice is to hire a sash window company to come out and do the work for you - but some smaller jobs can easily be done at home with a bit of handy work. Check out our mini guide on repairing sash windows here.


If you do want to hire a company to fix or install your sash windows, check out our sash window company list.